Rose water is being used in our natural skin care products, perfumes, and even organic household cleaners. Gourmets are crafting one-of-a-kind rose drinks. In addition, dermatologists have claimed the rose hydrosol has antioxidant, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory abilities, which makes it your perfect ally in your arsenal of beauty rituals.
For example, according to a 2017 review published in Complementary Therapies in Medicine, rose hydrosol can help cleanse, hydrate, and heal dry, inflamed, acne-prone skin.
Why Should You Drink It?
- Hydrate your skin, fight dark spots, and reduce wrinkles – glow from inside.
- Relieve depression, alleviate stress, and improve mood.
- Cope with digestion troubles like bloating, upset tummy, and constipation.
- Deal with fluid retention and inflammation.
What It Is Made Of?
Rose water is made by steam-distilling rose petals. It’s considered a by-product of the manufacturing process of rose essential oil – a process that uses steam distillation to isolate rose’s oils. While not as concentrated as rose oil, rose water is a solution that contains beneficial compounds found in rose petals.
Rosa damascena belongs to the Rosaceae family, which has around 200 different types of rose species. Rose plants are rich in flavonoids and vitamins. That is why rose hydrosol is considered a gentle astringent, cleanser, skin soother, and moisturizer, both for your skin and hair.
The rose plant is considered to be a “holy ancient herb.” Some records show it has a very long history of use, dating back to the Ancient Romans. Long before commercial perfumes and cleansers were available, rose water was utilized for its sweet floral scent and anti-inflammatory effects.
In Babylon, Iran and India rose plants were used to treat pain and infections, digestive disorders, and even heart issues.
Top 5 Rose Water Benefits
It Has Antioxidant Effects And Fights Free Radicals
As a rich source of antioxidants, rose hydrosol can help strengthen and repair skin tissue. It can help improve aged or sensitive skin. As studies claim that rose water contains antioxidants that fight free radicals, it supports skin rejuvenation and improves the signs of skin aging, such as wrinkles, pigmentation, and dehydration.
By alleviating the effects free radicals have on our bodies and our skin, in particular, rose hydrosol may help skin retain its moisture and texture.
Soothes Dehydration and Acne
Rose drinks to fight bacterial infections and soothe inflammation. It may also help you with your acne, dermatitis, or rosacea conditions. Rose water can help brighten and tone skin appearance. Other uses include soothing dehydration and burns.
Use rose water to prevent your skin from getting too oily. Simply dab a few drops onto a soft cotton pad, then sweep it over your face.
Helps Fight Dandruff and Nourish Hair
As rose water has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties, it can help against dermatitis and improve your scalp condition and fight dandruff. You can as well spray rose water all over your hair to nourish and refresh it.
Some studies claim that due to the high amount of antioxidants that are found in rose water, it can help alleviate stomach discomfort and even act as a mild laxative. Drink rose water to relieve bloating, constipation, or other digestive issues. Your tummy will appreciate thank you.
What is the Best Rose Hydrosol?
As most common brands use chemicals such as preservatives and additives, here are a few considerations to have in mind:
- Choose organic rose drinks.
- It should be made by steam distillation.
- Rosa damascena has the highest vibration and the best healing properties.
- Your rose drink should be in an amber bottle to avoid degradation.
- Fun fact: Bulgaria’s Kazanluk Valley or the Valley of the Roses is historically the world’s leading regions for the production of rose oil and rose water.
Rose Water vs. Rose Essential Oil
Both essential oils help manage health conditions and used in beauty rituals for thousands of years.
You can use rose essential oil aromatically by diffusing it in your home or by inhaling the oil directly. It can also be applied topically and has many skin benefits; however, it’s always a good idea to dilute essential oils with a carrier oil like coconut or jojoba in a 1:1 ratio before applying it topically.
After diluting the oil, perform a small patch test first before using the oil on larger areas. Once you know you don’t have a negative reaction, then you can add a few drops of essential oil to a face serum, warm bath, lotion or body wash.
How to Use Rose Water
When it comes to using rose water in homemade cosmetics, keep in mind that it blends well with aloe, chamomile, geranium, lavender, lemon, patchouli, and ylang-ylang.
- You can make your own rose water toner by mixing pure apple cider vinegar, a few drops of rose oil, and witch hazel. Pour it into a small glass bottle and spray it all over your face. Complete the ritual with your favorite facial moisturizer.
- If you have acne, try to dab a couple of drops of pure rose essential oil on blemishes in the morning and at night, after cleansing your face. You can also add some coconut oil.
- You can add some rose hydrosol to your face serum. Mix it with a few drops of coconut oil and lavender essential oil, then apply to your face.
- Coconut oil and rose hydrosol also make a good makeup remover.
- If you have dry skin, spritz rose water all over your body, before you apply your hydrating body lotion or oil.
- Mix up rose hydrosol with essential oils like lemon, orange, or lavender oil.
- You can also add several drops of pure rose water to your bath to hydrate and soothe your sensitive skin.
- Apply a rose water-soaked compress to your forehead for 45 minutes to alleviate a headache.
Simply infuse your shampoo and/or conditioner with rose water. Add a few drops of jojoba oil, Argan oil, and vitamin E to create your natural homemade hair mask. Leave it for 20 minutes and then rinse as usual.
Foods and Beverages
Rose water works well with both sweet and savory flavors, it goes perfectly with cardamom, saffron, ginger, black pepper, and vanilla. You just need a few spoons of this magic drink to make the perfect healthy drink. Sip a rose tea, add rose oil to your smoothie or breakfast. It will boost your day, refresh your body and mind, and get you on track for a fulfilling day.